Cornwall is one of the most famous and popular UK destinations for camping and touring and if you have been you will know why and keep returning. For those of you who haven’t ventured to the south west tip of England it really is something you should start planning. Even at the busiest time of the year you will find space in Cornwall campsites.
The weather in Cornwall
They say Cornwall has its own micro climate, we don’t know about that but we know that it does get more days and hours of sunlight than any other county in the UK.
What is the appeal? Well there is so much, big long sandy beaches, small pretty coves, Bodmin Moor, traditional harbour towns with cobbled streets, Land’s End, the South West Coastal Path and the world famous Eden Project, The Tate Gallery to name just a few.
Cornwall is totally prepared for the visitor with many camping, touring and holiday parks open all year round with the majority of them being pet friendly. Admittedly there are a few beaches where dogs are not permitted but do not fear dog owners there plenty of beaches where dogs are allowed.
Getting around Cornwall
What a lot of people say on their return from Cornwall is that once you are there not matter where you are staying the county is easy to explore and get around. You might be staying on the southern side near St Austell or Falmouth but it is easy to take a day trip ‘north’ to Newquay or Tintagel and explore the northern coast.
So maybe now is the time to start thinking about that trip to Cornwall. What kind of set up do you have and what kind of site do you want to stay at? Our Camping and Caravanning Sites in Cornwall directory will help you find the perfect place.
If you are looking for a small camping and caravanning site in Cornwall that is small, adults only and pet friendly we have a great selection for you to choose from.
Alternatively if you want a site that has facilities for families and is close to the beach you can find those camping and caravanning sites in Cornwall on here too.
Don’t forget to enjoy your cream tea when in Cornwall which as you know is served differently from the neighbouring county of Devon. For the record in Cornwall they serve their cream teas with jam first followed by the cream on the scone. And of course you need to eat a Cornish pasty!
lf you asked people to name a dish that summed up the Cornwall, most would probably opt for the Cornish pasty.These days it‘s a near ubiquitous fast food sold in outlets across the country, and not generally seen as particularly sophisticated fare. But just as a burger from McDonald‘s bears little relation to something organic, grass-fed and home-made, so the cellophane-wrapped gristly parcels sold at the nation’s train stations are not good representatives of this fine baking tradition. For the best pasties, you need to head to a local bakery where you’ll be sold delightful, tightly-filled envelopes off flaky pastry, carefully crimped around the edges (so as to form a sort of pastry ‘handle’ by which to hold it) and filled with the classic ingredients of steak, onions, potato and sometimes swede (known locally as yellow turnip) in a moist gravy. Avoid anything prepackaged in plastic or microwaveable.These days there are several other fillings available,some acceptable (pork and apple, lamb and mint), some not (chicken balti).
The food was invented in mining communities as a sort of ready-meal to be eaten underground on thejob, and was originally supposed to be an all-in-one main course and dessert, with a savoury filling at one end and a sweet at the other, separated by a pastry wall. The pastry case not only made it easy to eat, so the workers didn’t have to carry cutlery, but the thick crimped seam stopped them from contaminating the meat ~ the seam was usually thrown away uneaten.
The Cornish are justly proud of their pasties, and these days it’s a £150 million plus industry, which probably goes some way to explaining why the Cornish Pasty Association are currently lobbying the EU to have the dish awarded geographical protection, like champagne or Parma ham, so that only pastry parcels created in the county can legally call themselves ‘Cornish’.
The West Country is also well known as the originator of the cream tea, although whether it was developed first in Cornwall or in Devon is still hotly debated. it’s a simple offering, consisting ofa selection of light, fluffy scones, thick locally produced jam (typically Strawberry), clotted cream and a pot of good well-brewed tea, but done well it is a meal to rival any other. Unfortunately, it is done fairly badly fairly often, particularly at on-site cafes at tourist attractions. Head to the local village teashop to experience a real West Country Cream tea.
Less well-known delicacies include saffron cake, a currant loaf coloured yellow, and lightly flavoured, with a little saffron, Cornish heavy cake a stodgy fruity concoction and Various types of fudge.
Moving on to the cheese course, the region’s many dairy farms produce a great variety of produce, from the nation’s favourite, Cheddar, as served up in ploughman‘s lunches across the countryat its best in its tangy, sharp mature state to the mild creamy Cornish yarg which comes wrapped in a mouldy (though edible) rind of nettles.
Unsurprisingly, given the region’s lengthy coastline, and the fact that few places are further than 30 miles from the sea,fish and seafood dominate the South West.There’s both a great abundance (despite the relative decline of the fishing industry in recent decades, it’s still a thriving business in many ports, ensuring a constant supply ofthe freshest ingredients) and a wonderful variety, from chip-shop classics, such as cod and halibut, to gourmet favourites like monkfish, sea bream, John Dory oysters, tiger prawns, lemon sole and lobster. More than 40 local species are caught and cooked commercially. You will find fish offered in the fanciestforms possible – such as ‘marinated salmon with passion fruit, lime and corriander’ at Rick Stein’s Seafood Restaurant in Padstow and the simplest, as exemplified by the battered fish and chips and crab sandwiches offered in the region’s pubs.
Bodmin, set on the steep south-western edge of the moor, was once Cornwall’s largest town and is the only one in the area mentioned in the Domesday Book. St Petroc is said to have founded a monastery here in the 6th century; he was the patron saint of the 12th century Augustinian priory, and his name lives on in 15th-century St Petroc’s the largest parish church in the county. At one time the town was renowned for holy wells believed to cure eye complaints, and one; St Guron’s can be seen near the church.
The rocky slopes of Bodmin Moor – designated an area of outstanding natural beauty extend for about 12 square miles, and few roads cross their wild solitude. The plateau on the moor stands about 800 ft. high, and from this rise steep granite tors the tallest being Brown Willy (1375ft) and Rough Tor (1251ft).
Picturesque Boscastle is set in a glen where the Rivers Jordan and Valency converge before meeting the sea, which they do with dramatic effects when rivers are high and tides strong. The small harbour is protected by cliffs on either side, and behind it the long, broad road which forms the main part of the village rises through steep woodland. The museum of Witchcraft and Black Magic has eerie but fascinating displays from all parts of the south-west peninsula. 1 mile east of the village stands the isolated church of St Juliot – its restoration in 1870 having been supervised by novelist Thomas Hardy – then still a practising architect.
Near this small village beside the Tamar is Cotehele House one of the finest Tudor manor houses in the country. The main part of the house was built between 1485 and 1539 by Richard Edgcumbe, a supporter of Henry VIII. The house and its gardens remained in the Edgcumbe family’s possession until 1947, and the interior decoration and furnishings are superb. The great hall, with its collection of armour, its fantastic roof, the tapestries that hang from its walls, and its hunting trophies is very impressive. Cotehele Mill has been restored and can be visited, as can the picturesque quay with its small museum and Tamar sailing barge.
Camborne and Redruth
At Pool, between Camborne and Redruth, there is a winding engine of 1887 and a pumping engine built in 1892. Camborne and Redruth were at the centre of Cornwall’s tin and copper mining industries.Nowadays, employment comes from light industry. Camborne was the birthplace in 1771 of the inventor Richard Trevithick, who in 1801 built the first passenger steam vehicle.
A great day out for everyone in the world’s biggest greenhouse. Brilliant for families, couple and groups. The site of a former clay pit is now one of the most famous tourist attractions in England. Walk through the tropical gardens, if you are feeling brave try the zip wire.
Sir Walter Raleigh can claim some of the credit for putting Falmouth on the map; it was he who saw the commercial possibilities of this large natural harbour. It became the first station for the Royal Mail Packet Service in 1688, reaching its heyday in 1827 when 39 packet steamers operated from the port. Nowadays its dry dock is home to huge modern oil tankers.
The town with its lovely setting on the Cornish Riviera developed as a holiday resort in the 19th century following the arrival of the Great Western Railway. Pendennis Castle was one of Henry VIII’s coastal forts and was the last Royalist stronghold in England to surrender to Cromwell. Together with St Mawes Castle on the opposite side of Carrick Roads, it guards the harbour. The church of St Charles the Martyr was built in the 17th century and dedicated to Charles 1. Among the 18th and 19th century buildings near the harbour is ‘King’s Pipe’ – a chimney where tobacco smugglers’ dreams literally went up in smoke burnt by Excise men.
Ruined forts at either side of the Fowey estuary still appear to guard this charming Cornish coastal town. The harbour and the quaint narrow streets climbing steeply from it attract holidaymakers but the town is also an important commercial port exporting large cargoes of china clay. The wide variety of old buildings include the ruins of St Catherine’s Castle the church of St Finbarres, 14th-century in origin and with a fine 16th-century tower, and the impressive town hall built in 1792 but incorporating several 14th-century windows. Noah’s Ark, a 14th-century house, houses a museum of Cornish domestic life. Nearby, there is safe bathing at sandy Readymoney Cove. Between Polridmouth and Polkerris Coves lies ‘Menabilly’. The house, built in 1600 and added to in the18th and 19th centuries, was formerly the home of the Rashleigh family and, more recently, of Daphne du Maurier.
Near this quiet hamlet, in a secluded woodland setting, is one of Cornwall’s most interesting historic houses, Godolphin House. Former home of the enterprising Earls of Godolphin, it dates mainly from the 16th century. Of particular interest to horse-lovers is the painting by John Wooton of ‘Godolphin Arabian’. This stallion owned by the 2nd Earl was one of the three imported Arab stallions from which all British thoroughbred horses descend.
At the head of the Helford River, this quiet village has become a popular destination for tourists, who come to visit the fascinating Seal Sanctuary. Here sick and injured seals rescued from Cornish beaches are cared for in the well-run hospital and five pools.
A busy market town, Helston is particularly worth visiting on Floral Day, on or near 8 May. This is the day of the ancient Furry Dance, with dancing up and down the hilly streets, just as described in the popular song. Nearby is the fascinating Cornwall Aero Park with collections of historic aircraft and motor vehicles. An added attraction are the reproduction old world cobbled streets of Flambards Village. The story of Cornish tin mining is recreated at Poldark Mine, Wendron, 3 miles north east of Helston.
This cove, in an area of coast owned by the National Trust, is possibly the most spectacular on the Lizard Peninsula. The remarkable cliffs of serpentine rock are streaked with red, purple, and green, and round the beach there are numerous caves with names like ‘Devils Letter Box’ and ‘Ladies’ Bathing Pool’. To the north west stand the magnificent cliffs known as Pigeon Hugo and The Horse. Just offshore is Asparagus Island (so called because the plant grows there in abundance), where the sea spouts dramatically through a rock known as the Devil’s Bellows.
Lanhydrock House two and a half miles south east of Bodmin is approached by an avenue of ancient beeches and sycamores, running through flowering trees and shrubs to the formal gardens of lawns, rose beds and clipped cypresses around the house. The brown stone building is simple in design and dates back to the 17th century, though much of it was rebuilt after a fire in 1881. Inside, the atmosphere is informal and the house is still lived in. The daily routines of earlier days are illustrated by the collection of curios in the kitchen and buttery. Lanhydrock’s showpiece, however, is the original 17th-century plaster ceiling of the long gallery in the north wing, which local craftsmen decorated with early Old Testament scenes.
England’s most westerly point, Land’s End is a particularly dramatic piece of coastline with brownish granite cliffs plunging into the Atlantic. On a clear day there are impressive views of the Longships and Wolf Rock lighthouses. Inland is Sennen, England’s westernmost village. According to legend, King Arthur, leading the forces of seven Cornish Chieftains, routed the Danes here. A banquet to celebrate the victory was held on a large rock known as the Table Men, which lies about 1 mile north of Sennen’s church. Sennen has its own small harbour and beautiful bathing beaches.
Launceston once guarded the main route into Cornwall from Devon, and it was the county capital until 1838. A primitive motte-and-bailey stronghold was built here in the 11th century, but the present castle dates from the 13th. When it fell into disrepair after the Civil War, one tower continued to be used as a prison, and public executions were carried out below its walls until 1821. Lawrence House is one of the many interesting Georgian buildings in the old streets around the Square; it now houses a local history museum, but during the Napoleonic Wars it was a favourite rendezvous with French prisoners on parole. St Thomas’s Church is notable for its large Norman font, and St Mary Magdelene’s has fine woodwork inside and remarkable 16th-century carving on the granite exterior.
Lelant is a delightful village and golfing resort set on the estuary of the River Hayle; its church, Norman and Perpendicular, has an interesting 18th century sundial. The greatest attraction to visitors, however, is Lelant Model Village, where scale models of many of the country’s notable buildings are displayed in landscaped grounds. A museum illustrates Cornish crafts and history (with particular emphasis on shipwrecks, smugglers and tin mining), and the work of local artists is on sale. The grounds also include water gardens, a junior assault course and children’s playground and a model railway exhibition.
Lizard Point, the tip of the Lizard Peninsula, is the southernmost point in England. The name comes from the Cornish words ‘lis’ (place) and ‘ard’ (high). The famous veined serpentine rock is found only here. The scenery is dramatic, as towering walls of cliff and magnificent rock pinnacles stretch down to turbulent seas on a stretch of coast notorious for shipwrecks. There are sandy beaches to the east at Housel Bay, and Kynance Cove lies west of the Point. A few miles inland, on Goonhilly Downs, stands British Telecom’s satellite tracking station.
Although a 15th-century bridge had spanned the river here, East and West Looe were separate entities until the building of the Victorian bridge in 1883, After this date the two towns merged, still much involved in fishing but also developing as a holiday resort. Today Looe is England’s foremost shark-fishing centre and the venue each autumn of the British Sea Angling Festival, but it is also an ideal place for a family holiday, offering fine surfing conditions and excellent bathing from large sandy beaches. West Looe is centred round its picturesque quay and the church of St Nicholas built mainly from the timbers of wrecked ships, and containing in its tower a Scold’s Cage for the incarceration of nagging wives. In East Looe stands the 16th-century Guildhall, its upper floor now housing a museum; the building was once used as a gaol, and the old stocks and pillory can be seen downstairs. Looe Aquarium displays examples of fish caught locally and includes a shark museum, whilst at Murrayton there is a monkey sanctuary.
A medieval bridge crosses the River Fowey at Lostwithiel, now a popular touring centre but once the capital of Cornwall and a centre for the tin trade. 14th-century Duchy House in Quay Street includes the remains of an old Stannary Court where the regulations of the local tin mines were administered. The remains of Restormel Castle, dating back to the 12th or 13th centuries overlook the valley about 1 mile away.
The church of St Maddern used to be
the parish church of Penzance. Situated on high ground above Mount’s Bay, this Village with its granite cottages overlooks St Michael’s Mount, the island castle that so closely resembles its namesake,
Mont St Michel, in Brittany. A 3 mile walk will take you to the ancient Men-an Tol Stone reputed to have healing powers, sufferers used to crawl through the ‘porthole’ aperture to be cured of their ailments.
Menabilly, near Fowey, was the home for 26 years of the writer Daphne Du Maurier. It is a very secret place, concealed by trees from even the most prying eyes. It appears in The King’s General and it can be identified without much difficulty as Manderley – the setting of Rebecca, though Victorian Gothic Caerhays, a few miles along the coast, was recently used in a television adaptation. The boathouse in which Rebecca died in the novel still stands at Polridmouth beach. It has been restored and overlooks a lake separated from the shore by a stone wall.
In summer, Mevagissey is so crowded with tourists that it is hard to appreciate the beauties of this delightful little fishing village. As well as pilchard fishing, smuggling was once an important local industry: Mevagissey built boats were so fast they could out sail the Revenue cutters. A former boat builder’s workshop now contains a folk museum.
This is a pretty little village that used to thrive off its harvest of pilchards. In 1595, four Spanish galleys eluded the Elizabethan warships, and landed 200 Spaniards,who burned Mousehole to the ground. Only the 15th-century Keigwin Arms (no longer a pub) survived. Dolly Pentreath, the last person known to have spoken Cornish as her native tongue, died here in 1777.
This area of Bodmin Moor is rich in ancient monuments, few more impressive than the line of three neighbouring circles of standing stones known as The Hurlers. A centuries-old legend, reported by the 16th-century historian Camden, explains the stones as ‘men sometime transformed into stones, for profaning the Lord’s Day with hurling the ball.’ Camden did not believe the tale, and the stones are, of course, far more ancient than the coming of Christianity to these shores. The nearby Round Barrow, on the summit of the hill, once yielded an early Bronze Age treasure of considerable importance, now in the British Museum.
Mullion church has a magnificent set of 16th-century bench ends and parts of the tower are built of serpentine, a multi-coloured stone peculiar to the Lizard peninsula. The village – perhaps the most beautiful in Cornwall looks out onto Mullion Cove. Two miles north, the tiny church at Cury contains a stained glass memorial window to Robert Bonython, an ancestor of the poet Longfellow. 1 mile north west is Poldhu Point and the cave where Marconi received the first ever transatlantic morse signals in 1901. The site of the radio station is marked by a memorial.
Good bathing, excellent surfing and a favourable climate combine to make Newquay one of the most popular resorts in Cornwall. Its sandy beach is backed by tall cliffs, pierced with enticing caves. Evidence of Newquay’s past as a fishing port when pilchards were plentiful is provided by the Old Huer’s Hut on the cliffs. The Huer was the man who kept watch for the appearance of the shoals and warned the fishermen to make ready. Trenance Park, in a valley to the east of the town, is the setting for Newquay Zoo. 3 miles south east Trerice Manor is a fine Elizabethan manor house.
In the 6th century St Petroc is said to have founded a monastery here on the Camel estuary. The mainly decorated church has a carved font and memorials to the family who have lived at nearby Prideaux Place for nearly 400 years. The Elizabethan mansion has one of England’s oldest deer parks. Ancient streets slope down to Padstow harbour. On South Quay is Raleigh Court, Where Sir Walter Raleigh presided as Warden of Cornwall. D H Lawrence stayed in Padstow in 1915, intending to emigrate to Florida with a group of friends. Padstow’s most celebrated event is the May Day procession when the Hobby Horse, draped in a hooped skirt, frolics through the streets led by the ‘Teaser’ and a band of attendants. The ancient custom, celebrating the defeat of winter, is believed to be among the oldest dance festivals in Europe. In the prettily named Fentonluna Lane is a Tropical Bird and Butterfly Garden.
The Penwith peninsula is dotted with the gaunt ruins of engine-houses the last visible remains of the once prosperous Cornish tin industry. Geevor tin mine near the hamlet of Pendeen is still worked however, and has a museum showing the history of tin-mining in Cornwall.
As a port for the Cornish tin trade and a haven for smugglers, Penzance, the most westerly town in England, flourished long before the arrival of the railway and its development as a seaside resort. Penlee Park contains a natural and local history museum, and the Roland Morris Maritime Museum displays objects recovered from ships wrecked off the Scilly Isles. Exotic plants flourish in Morrab Gardens, and the exotic Egyptian House is a local curiosity, restored by the Landmark Trust and used as a holiday home. At Trengwainton Gardens 2 miles west, many exotic plants are grown in walled gardens and woodland ades. Sir Humphry Davy, inventor of the miners’ safety lamp, was born and educated in Penzance. Richard Trevithick, the early maker of steam locomotives, was an engineer at the nearby Ding Dong Mine. Ferry and helicopter services run between Penzance and the Scilly Isles.
One of Cornwall’s most enchanting fishing villages, Polperro lies at the foot of a deep wooded combe. One of the cottages houses a museum of smuggling. The Land of Legend portrays Cornwall’s past history and includes a model Polperro Village.
Occupying a superb site 200ft up on the cliffs below the village, Minack Theatre, an open air amphitheatre, modelled on the theatres of ancient Greece, was created in 1932 by Miss Rowena Cade. There is a regular summer season of plays which attracts audiences from all over the world. Porthcurno has a fine beach of almost white sand.
Until late in the 19th century, St Agnes was a tin-mining centre, and the ruins of the old workings now add to its’ charm. It is a pleasant resort with a sandy beach and fine coastal scenery. You can drive to the top of 700ft St Agnes Beacon for some of the most extensive views in Cornwall. On the cliffs between St Agnes and Chapel Porth is the ruined Wheal Coates Engine House.
St Austell is the centre of the china clay industry a raw material that is used not only in porcelain but also in the manufacture of paper, cosmetics, medicines, paint and many other things. St Austell was a tin mining village until, in 1755, William Cookworthy discovered the clay and decided it might have industrial possibilities. Now, dispatched in ships rom Fowey and Par and Charlestown (where there is a Visitor Centre incorporating an interesting museum of shipwrecks), it is a major export. Outside the town china clay dust and waste materials appear as white mountains. The Wheal Martyn Museum tells the history of the china clay industry.
St Cleer stands 700ft above sea-level on the edge of Bodmin Moor. It has a church with a 15th-century tower, a holy well, and fantastic views. A mile or two from the village, the landscape is rich in prehistoric monuments. Most famous is Trevethy Quoit, an imposing chambered tomb. The Hurlers, three stone circles said to be men turned to stone for playing a game on Sunday, the Cheesewring, a curiously shaped natural phenomenon, and King Donert’s Stone, believed to commemorate a 9th-century Christian king, are all within easy reach.
During the 19th century St Ives was one of Cornwall’s most prosperous pilchard ports. No fewer than 75 million were caught during one day in 1864. It was also used for the shipping of tin and copper until these industries began to decline in the late 1800’s. It was at this time that artists began to move to the port, establishing a vibrant community; John MacNeill Whistler and Walter Sickert were among the many who stayed here. Although it brought fame to St Ives, the presence of the artistic community has done much to preserve the beauty of the village. Evidence of St Ives’ earlier history, when John Wesley was so influential in Cornwall, is seen in two streets named ‘Teetotal’ and ‘Salubrious’. The 15th-century church has a Madonna and Child carved by Dame Barbara Hepworth; a museum of her work is in the village. Finally, the Barnes Museum of Cinematography should be seen.
St Just in Roseland
Cornwall has a reputation for subtropical luxuriance and the churchyard at St Just-in-Roseland is a fine example. The work was begun by a tree-loving Vicar in the mid-19th century. Now you can see such rarities ‘ as an African strawberry tree, a Chilean myrtle, palms and camellias.
Just east of the village is the remarkable Paul Corin Collection of automatic (and, in many cases, very large) musical instruments such as the Mortier organ, which measures 27ft by 20ft, the Hoogluys fairground organ, and an exquisite rarity – a 1929 German theatre organ. On no account should it be missed.
St Mawes on the Roseland Peninsula is magnificent and unspoiled by the tourist industry. Even the castle, built by Henry VIII to defend the Fal estuary, escaped the depredations of the Roundheads in the Civil War and is well preserved. A ferry connects the town with Falmouth.
St Michael’s Mount
This tiny island used to be joined to the mainland (tree stumps discovered under the sea prove it). In 1044, a Benedictine monastery was founded here by monks from Mont St Michel off Brittany hence the similarity of name and appearance. After the 12th century it assumed the role of a fort and in 1425 was acquired by the Crown. In 1657, during the Civil War, the St Aubyn family moved in and remained here until 1954, when the National Trust took over. The island can be reached by foot or by boat, depending on the tides, from Marazion.
Bodmin Moor rises behind the charming village, which nestles in a river valley. The church has remarkable stained glass windows many of them 15th and 16th-century. Legend, told in one of the windows, asserts that St Neot was only 15 inches high, and that he could make crows obey him. There is a well dedicated to him in the village.
St Newlyn East
The nearby Lappa Valley Line is a 15 inch gauge steam railway that runs along part of the old GWR Newquay – Chacewater route. The train makes a round trip of 2 miles and stops at East Wheal Rose Halt -the site of a once famous silver and lead mine; now a 5 acre pleasure area.
Stratton, only a mile or two from the resort of Bude, is an altogether charming small Cornish town built on the side of a hill. Its streets are steep; some of the houses are thatched; and the church has a window by Burnea Jones and a brass commemorating Henry VIII’s Vice-Admiral, Sir John Arundell.
Legend has it that King Arthur was born here, although the castle on Tintagel Head which bears his name is Norman in origin. It was originally built in 1145 for the then Earl of Cornwall. The surviving ruins date mainly from the 13th century. Augmenting the Arthurian legend are ‘Merlin’s Cave’ below the castle, and ‘King Arthur’s Hall, built in 1933 as the headquarters of the Fellowship of the Round Table. It has no less than 73 stained glass windows showing Arthur’s Knights. The nearby coastline (much of it National Trust) is rocky, wild and romantic with stark cliffs and slate caves, particularly some 15 miles south west down the coast at Bedruthan Steps. These huge, gnarled slaty rocks, rising up 200ft from an isolated beach, are, by legend, the stepping stones of the giant Bedruthan.
In the Middle Ages this former stannary town, lying on Truro River, an arm of the Fal Estuary, was an important port exporting mineral ore. It still has a small port, but is now better known as Cornwall’s administrative centre. The cathedral which dominates the town is comparatively modern. Designed by J L Pearson, building began in 1879 and it was the first English Protestant cathedral to be built since St Paul’s in London. Lemon Street is one of the best preserved examples in Britain of a Georgian street, and the Assembly Rooms were an important rendezvous for Cornish high society. The County Museum, arguably the best in Cornwall houses a world famous collection of minerals. At Lake’s Pottery one of the county’s oldest modern-day potters can be seen in action. Wheal Jane, 4 miles south west is a tin mine opened in 1971, the first to do so in Europe for over 50 years.
The delightful village of Veryan lies in a sheltered position in a wooded valley and produces a wealth of sub-tropical trees and plants. It is famous for its five curious round houses – whitewashed, thatched and surmounted by a cross -standing two at each end of the village and one in the middle. Legend has it that they were built by a vicar for his five daughters; they were made round so that the devil could find no corners in which to lurk. The church of St Symphorian, named after a 3rd century French martyr, contains a Norman font. 1 mile south west of the village is Gerrans Bay, overlooked by Nare Head. 4 miles north east Caerhays Castle (not open) was used in the television production of Daphne Du Maurier’s Rebecca.
A 17th-century lychgare gives access to the 14th and 15th-century church of Wendron, and the Churchyard contains a very early cross-slab with an incised cross. This was a tin-mining area, and the Poldark Mine and Wendron Forge complex is open to the public, with museums and the West Country’s largest collection of working antiques, including a 4th-high beam engine.
The village, named after St Senara, stands on rock strewn uplands; the sea is less than a mile away and there is fine coastal scenery with bathing from sandy coves. On a bench-end in the 15th-century church is the famous carving of a mermaid reputed to have lured the squire’s son into the sea after hearing him sing. A curious totem pole outside the Gurnard Head Hotel was carved from a telegraph pole by a Canadian sculptor. Incorporated into the design are many Cornish symbols and the carved head of Tom Hulking Horne, a famous master of Cornish wrestling. The Wayside Cottage Folk Museum illustrates Cornish life and archaeology, displaying household, farming and mining equipment, together with a cottage kitchen and open hearth. A rare Iron Age beehive hut is 1and a half miles south west of the village at Bosporthennis, and a Neolithic dolmen known as the Zennor Quoit lies one mile to the south east.
Towns in Cornwall
Bude – Great location for using as a base to visit Widemouth Bay, Boscastle, Tintagel, Port Isaac, Eden Project, Camelford Trail and Bodmin Moor
Camborne – Close to the Godrevy – Portreath Heritage Coast